Mount Kenya National Park & Reserve is located or touches four counties in Kenya namely: Nyeri, Kirinyaga, Laikipia, Embu, Meru, and Isiolo Counties.
Mount Kenya National Park consists of Mount Kenya, the wildlife and the surrounding environment (serves as a habitat for the wildlife and water catchment area).
It is a great wilderness. It has a thick forest, glaciers, wildlife, lakes, water springs, rivers, and waterfalls.
It has 12 glaciers in total that have formed through snow cap melt down.
The dense forests provide life to the wildlife and big source of many rivers in Kenya.
Mount Kenya is stratovolcanic and is the second-highest in Africa about 51 99 m.
The scenery surrounding this Mountain is like no other.
It has 3 major peaks, the Batian (51 99 m), Nellion (51 88 m), and Point Lenana (4985 m).
Mount Kenya touches 5 major regions, Nyeri, Meru, Embu, Kirinyaga, and Laikipia.
As a result, the communities living around this mountain are the Kikuyu, Ameru, Embu, and Masai.
These communities surrounding this Mountain belief it is holy and forms part of their sacred faith.
It is the source of many rivers in Kenya with Tana and Ewaso Ng’iro being the major ones. The other rivers from this mountain become tributaries to the 2 major rivers.
Mount Kenya National Park Animals/Wildlife
The wildlife found here includes the elephant, buffalo, leopard, waterbuck, sun, giant forest hog, mole rat, bongo among others.
It is also home to a wide variety of birds-over 130 bird species.
Mount Kenya National Park Climate/Weather
The Mount Kenya climate is the tropical Mountain climate. The mountain has two wet periods and two dry periods in a year.
The rains are usually from March to June, and this forms the long rains and from October to December, and this forms the short rains.
The rest of the year is warm and dry.
The temperatures vary a lot depending on the latitude. At the lower part of the mountain, temperatures don’t go below 1 2°C but go down as you climb up.
In most cases, it is warm during the day and cold during the night.
When to visit Mount Kenya
You can visit Mount Kenya National Park all year round but take precautions during the rainy seasons.
Mount Kenya National Park Attractions
Why is Mount Kenya National Park popular? Here is why.
- Natural wilderness
- Dense Forests
- Wide variety of animals
- Over 130 bird species
- Mineral springs
- Great Mountain and alpine vegetation
Things to do in Mount Kenya National Park
You can indulge in a number of activities which include;
- Game watching
- Cave exploration
- Nature walks
- Mountain climbing
Mount Kenya Climbing
It is possible to climb Mount Kenya all year round but it is advisable you climb during the dry periods. Avoid wet periods i.e. March-June and October-December during the rainy season.
There are many major routes to climb Mount Kenya and they include the Narumoro, Chogoria, Sirimon Route, Burguret, Timau route, Kamweti, and Meru route.
The most popular routes are the Narumoro Route, Chogoria Route, and the Sirimon Route.
The Narumoro route is the most popular of the three but less scenic and overcrowded compared to the Chogoria and Sirimon route.
It usually 4th takes 4-6 days to climb Mount Kenya.
As you climb Mount Kenya, you get to enjoy the wildlife, sceneries and of course the fun that comes with it.
Mount Kenya Climbing Tips
- It is very important to carry the right gear when climbing Mount Kenya. You should wear clothes that make you feel comfortable. Climbing shoes should also be well-fitting and providing good support and stability
- It is equally important to carry different types of gear. Remember as you climb up, the weather keeps on changing and you will need to keep changing your gear to suit the prevailing weather conditions.
- You also need 2 poles to keep you on balance as you climb up throughout the uneven terrain.
- Equally important are the climbing ropes.
- You should also keep yourself free of altitude-related sickness also known as the Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). They include High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE), High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE), Peripheral Edema, Altitude Throat, and Altitude Bronchitis.
- HAPE is the accumulation of fluid in the lungs as a result of high altitude which can cause difficulty breathing, and coughing blood sputum.
- HACE is the accumulation of fluids in your brain which can cause severe headaches, confusion, and difficulty in walking.
- Acclimatization is one of the ways you can avoid AMS by moving up the mountain gradually.
- It is also important to carry oxygen supply when climbing a mountain. As you go up the mountain, oxygen keeps decreasing sharply.
- Please also carry plenty of water and food. Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking. You should eat and drink water regularly.
- If you have been diagnosed with a stroke, heart attack, blood clot, and severe asthma please see your doctor before doing so.
NB: These mountain climbing tips are important but you should see a medical or an expert to advise you thoroughly.
How to get there
You can get to Mount Kenya:-
By Road-It 175 km from Nairobi
The park can be reached through three points of entry; Nanyuki-Isiolo Road via Sirimon Track, Nyeri-Nanyuki Road at Naru Moru, and Embu-Meru Road via Chogoria.
By Air-Through Nanyuki Airstrip
Mount Kenya National Park Entrance Fee/Charges
Here are the Mount Kenya Charges under the following categories
Citizens Park Entrance Fee
1 day package: Adult @ KES 430, Child @ KES 215
3 days package: Adult @ KES 1,290, Child @ KES 645
4 days package: Adult @ KES 1720, Child @ KES 860
5 days package: Adult @ KES 2,150 Child @ KES 1,075
6 days package: Adult @ KES 2,580, Child @ KES 1,290
Kihari: Adult @ KES 300, Children @ KES 215.
Residents Park Entrance Fee
1 day package: Adult @ KES 775, Child @ KES 515
3 days package: Adult @ KES 2,325, Child @ KES 1,545
4 days package: Adult @ KES 3,100, Child @ KES 2,060
5 days package: Adult @ KES 3,875 Child @ KES 2,575
6 days package: Adult @ KES 4,650 Child @ KES 3,090
Kihari: Adult @ KES 1,030, Child @ KES 515
Non-Residents Park Entrance Fee
1 day package: Adult @ $52, Child @ $26
3 days package: Adult @ $156, Child @ $78
4 days package: Adult @ $208, Child @ $ 104
5 days package: Adult @ $260, Child @ $ 130
6 days package: Adult @ $312 Child @ $156
Kihari: Adult @ $43, Child @ $26
- Serena Mountain Lodge
- The Ark Lodge
- Sweetwaters Serena Camp
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club
- Naro Moru River Lodge
- Le Rustique
- Alba Hotel Meru
- Beisa Hotel
- Peaks Hotel Limited
Happy Wildlife Trip!