Mount Elgon National Park Kenya is located in Western Kenya, Bungoma County, North West of Lake Victoria.
The Kenya-Uganda border runs through it right at the middle.
On the Kenyan side is, it is known as the Mount Elgon National Park under the protection and administration of Kenya Wildlife Service while on the Ugandan side is known as the Mount Elgon Forest Reserve. In Uganda, it is under the Forest Department.
There is a cross-border tourism initiative where visitors can climb the mountain on either side and descend on the other for convenience.
Mount Elgon is an extinct shield volcano and is a water catchment for Nzoia River which flows to Lake Victoria and Turkwel River which flows to Lake Turkana.
The park habitat consists of montane forests, mixed bamboo,
Mount Elgon National Park Attractions
Why Mount Elgon National Park popular? Here is why.
- Caves-Mount Elgon has quite a big number of caves formed from ancient lava tubes namely; Kitum, Making’eny, Chepnyalil, Ngwarisha, among others. Some fall outside the protected area. They are frequently visited by elephants and buffalos to lick the salts.
- Great water fall-located at Making’eny cave
- Hot Springs-which bubble at 48 °C
- Great forest
- Wide variety of wildlife
- Many species of birds
- Spectacular sceneries-cliffs, gorges, hot springs, mountain peaks, rivers, among others
- Walking trails that are self-guided
Mount Elgon National Park Animals/Wildlife
Wide varieties of wild animals are found here and include; the Elephant, Buffalo, Antelope, Duiker, forest Monkey, Colobus, Blue Monkey, among others
Many species of birds are also found here-over 144 bird species which include; Jackson’s Francolin, Pigeon, Turaco, Sunbird, endangered Lammergeier, among others.
Things to do in Mount Elgon National Park
- Game viewing-wide variety of wildlife
- Mountain climbing
- Rock Climbing
- Nature walks-quite scenic
Mount Elgon National Park Climate & Weather
Mount Elgon can be wet all year round. The driest months are June to August and December to March.
Annual average rainfall is 1270 mm.
Climate is moist and dry.
When to Visit
Given that climatic conditions around Mount Elgon, you can visit all year round but the most preferable period is between Decembers up to February when it is dry.
What to Carry/Wear on this Trip
- Insect repellent especially the Mosquito
- If you are camping please carry camping equipment.
- Also picnic items, drinking water, camera, and guide book.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to avoid the scotching sun.
How to get there
By Road-you use Kitale or Eldoret and both lead to Chorlim Gate-the main gate to the park h
By Air-You can use the Eldoret Airport, Kitale airstrip or use the airstrip within the park.
Mount Elgon National Park Entrance Fees/Charges
Park charges are as follows;
Citizens (KES): Adult 300 Child 215
Residents (KES): Adult 600 Child 300
Non-residents (USD): Adult 26 Child 17
You can reach Kenya Wildlife service through
Landline: +254 020 3539903
Mount Elgon National Park Hotels and Lodges
Hotels and lodges near Mount Elgon include;
Chorlim wildlife Lodge Mount Elgon
Mount Elgon Lodge
See also other Kenya National Parks