Lake Victoria is an inter-territorial freshwater lake divided among three countries namely; Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
It is one of the Africa Great Lakes with a surface area of about 59,947 km2 and an average depth of 40 m with the depth ranging from 80-84 m. Lake Victoria is the largest Africa’s lake by area, the world’s second-largest freshwater lake by surface area, and the world’s largest tropical lake. It is the world’s ninth-largest continental lake by volume.
The lake is fed by several rivers, with Kagera River being the largest draining in the lake in the western shore, and thousands of streams. Kenya Rivers that drain into the lake include Sio, Sondu Miriu, Mogusi, Migori, and Nyando, Nzoia, and Yala rivers. This water contributes only 20% of the lake water and the rest 80% comes from direct rainfall.
The only outflow from the lake is through the Nile River which exits near Jinja in Uganda which makes it the principal source of Nile River water.
Close Tourist Attraction Sites
- Ndere Island National Park, located in the Winam Gulf of Lake Victoria
- Ruma National Park which is set in Western Kenya, Lambwe Valley close to the shores of Victoria
- Kisumu Impala Sanctuary, located on the shores of this lake
Lake Victoria Animals/Wildlife
It has many species of mammals which include; the hippopotamus, Sitatunga antelope, otter, marsh mongoose, Defassa waterbuck, cane rats, Bohor reedbuck, and many others.
Reptiles include the huge population of Nile crocodiles, variable mud turtle, Africa helmeted turtle, and William’s mud turtle.
Lake Victoria fish include the cichlid fish, African tetra, cyprinid, catfish, bagrid catfish, loach catfish, silver butter catfish, killifish, eel, elephant fish, Nile perch and marbled lungfish.
Things to do Lake Victoria
- Bird watching
- Nature walks-very scenic
- Glass bottom boat rides
- Holding events-weddings, parties, corporate events, etc.
- Game viewing
The climate of this area is hot and humid and has an
When to visit
You can visit all year round due to the climatic conditions of this area.
How to get there
On the Kenya Side
The lake is 3 km from Kisumu City. Kisumu City is 355 KM from Nairobi.
You can alternatively use the Kisumu Airport from Nairobi
By Water–Kisumu is linked to Kendu Bay, Homa Bay, Mbita, and the neighboring countries through a ferry.
Lake Victoria Hotels & Lodges
- Impala Lake Victoria Ecolodge
- Sovereign Hotel
- Pinecone Hotel
- Grand Loyal Swiss Hotel
- Le Savanna Country Lodge
- St. John Manor
- Vittoria Suites
- Acacia Premier Hotel