Table of content: #Huawei Y8p Pros and Cons #Huawei Y8p Specs #Huawei Y8p Review #Huawei Y8p Price in Kenya, #Huawei Y8p Unboxing
Huawei Y8p was quietly unveiled in May and released in June with an OLED display, Kirin 710F, and 48MP camera.
Hold on, is this Huawei Enjoy 10s or a look-a-like? In short, Huawei Y8p looks very similar to Huawei Enjoy 10s with more storage and whether you will see it as a Y-series phone or an Enjoy is a matter of regional availability.
It is a mid-range smartphone at the lower end of the price range with premium features that match those of high-end smartphones.
Buy Huawei Y8p at KES 23,190 on Jumia –the lowest price I found in the market.
Every gadget comes with its strength and weaknesses and Huawei Y8p is no different. Here are Y8p pros and cons.
Huawei Y8p Pros
- Fabulous OLED display
- Comes with Android 10
- Fabulous triple camera
- Kirin 710F chipset
- 3.5mm jack
Huawei Y8p Cons
- No LED-flash for the front camera
- No Google Play Services
- No Infrared port
- Average fast charging
Huawei Y8p is popular for having an immersive big OLED display that will provide a cinematic viewing while streaming or playing videos, gaming, and sharing. We really liked this display given the price tag.
The triple main camera is fabulous and will let you capture the world around you in a style and shoot brilliant videos. We found the camera generous.
Other pros of this device include Kirin 710F chipset, a 3.5mm jack to connect to your current headset, NFC, and of course the latest android OS which we shall discuss in a second.
On the other hand, since the trade war between the US and China, Huawei doesn’t come with Google Play Services and might make some people turn the other way and look for an alternative. Instead, you will get the Huawei AppGallery and related services.
Being a mid-range smartphone at least it should have very fast charging speed. However, it has an average charging speed of 10W. Nowadays, even budget smartphones have fast-charging.
Again, the front camera won’t perform well in an environment with poor lighting since it misses a LED flash.
Infrared port is not that important but this means Huawei Y8p cannot be controlled remotely.
Huawei Y8p Specs Summary
- Size: 6.3 Inches
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels
- Chipset & processor: Kirin 710F, Octa-core
- Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM
- Main camera: 48MP
- Selfie Camera: 16MP
- Capacity: 4000mAh
- Charging: 10W
Body and Display
Huawei Y8p is pretty light and weighs only 163g with a dimension of 157.4 x 73.2 x 7.8 mm.
It comes in 2 colors – breathing crystal and midnight black.
As we mentioned earlier, it comes with a 6.3-inch OLED Infinity-U display with a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels (1080p+/FHD+) translating to 418 ppi density and a 90.17% screen-to-body ratio (official reading).
Platform, Performance, and Memory
Y8p runs on EMUI 10.1 operating software based on Android 10. EMUI 10.1 is the latest Huawei software and comes with new features such as Celia voice assistant, Cross-device photo gallery, 3D AOD, Multi-Device control panel for better multi-tasking, Huawei MeeTime, more multi-screen collaboration capabilities to let users the full advantage of multiple devices once, and more.
Huawei Y8p is powered by Kirin 710F and a 2.2/1.7GHz Octa-core processor paired with 4/6GB RAM for a smoother, quicker, and better performance. This device streams with ease and play games and video playback smoothly.
It might heat up a little when under heavy load in a normal way -nothing to worry about.
The internal storage is 128GB pretty enough to store your files which is expandable up to 256GB and uses a shared SIM slot.
Huawei Y8p Camera
The main camera for Huawei Y8p is a triple with 48MP primary sensor having f/1.8 aperture, an 8MP ultra-wide lens having f/2.4 aperture, and 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture.
The 48MP camera has a SuperSpectrum sensor – Huawei’s marketing name for RYYB sensors and offers Super Night Mode (up to 6-second exposures with AI image processing).
The main camera features a LED flash, HDR, and panorama. This means the rear camera will do well in any lighting condition day or night.
The selfie camera is 16MP with f/2.0 aperture and features HDR. Like we said, with this camera, you will struggle in poor lit conditions and the world will not see who you really are but will do just fine in during the day or in well-lit rooms.
Both cameras can shoot and broadcast live videos with a resolution of 1080p at 30fps.
Huawei Y8p battery is acceptable but nothing exciting and a 4000mAh capacity will keep you powered all day long doing what you love to do with this gadget. Again, given its budget Y8p has an average 10W charging speed which is a disappointment.
More features that boost Huawei Y8p include an under-display fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, proximity sensor, compass, USD 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go, FM radio, NFC, GPS, Bluetooth, 3.5mm jack, loudspeaker, and more.
Huawei Y8p Price in Kenya
And with all those features and capabilities, a price tag is attached to Y8p. Though the price might vary from one retailer to the next, the lowest price I found online of Huawei Y8p in Kenya is KES 23,190 on Jumia.
Given the features of this device, that price is fair for those who want a phone with finer touches than a budget one.
Should you buy Huawei Y8p? It is worth considering and yes if you…
- You want a phone with finer touches and better capabilities than a budget one
- You love capturing stunning photos that stand out
- You want a phone with an immersive cinematic display and brilliant performance
What is in the Box? Huawei Y8p Unboxing
It comes in a compact box. Upon opening it, you will find the Phone (Built-in battery), Charger, USB cable, TPU Protective Case (Dependent on market), Quick Start Guide, Eject Tool, and TP protective film (Attached on the phone before delivery)
Huawei Y8 Full Technical Specs
- Network: Technology: GSM / HSPA / LTE, Bands: 2/3/4G, Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE
- Body: Dimensions: 157.4 x 73.2 x 7.8 mm (6.20 x 2.88 x 0.31 in), Weight: 163 g (5.75 oz), SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: Type: OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, Size: 6.3 inches, 95.8 cm2 (~83.2% screen-to-body ratio), Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~418 ppi density)
- Platform: OS: Android 10, EMUI 10.1, no Google Play Services, Chipset: Kirin 710F (12 nm), CPU: Octa-core (4×2.2 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53), GPU: Mali-G51 MP4
- Memory: Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot), Internal: 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM
- Triple Main Camera: Wide Lens: 48 MP, f/1.8, 27mm, 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Ultra-wide Lens: 8 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, Depth Sensor: 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth), Features: LED flash, HDR, and panorama, Video: 1080p@30fps
- Single Selfie Camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, Features: HDR, Video: 1080p@30fps
- Sound: Loudspeaker: Yes, 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Communications: WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth : 5.0, A2DP, LE, GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, NFC: Yes, Radio: FM radio, USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Features: Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, proximity sensor, and compass.
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery, Charging: Charging 10W
- Huawei Y8p Colors: Breathing Crystal and Midnight Black