Kidepo Valley National Park is located in the Karamojong region-Karenga District- in the northeast Uganda to the South Sudan and Kenya boarder. It is approximately 520 km northeast of Kampala.
It is under the custody of Uganda Wildlife Authority and is the most isolated Uganda’s national park making it one of the Africa’s finest wildernesses.
Kidepo Valley National Park occupies a semi-arid area covered by savannah, Mount Morungole, and transected by Narus and Kidepo Rivers. There are also two River valleys-the Kidepo and Narus Valleys and a hot spring called Kanangorok which is a permanent source of water.
The two rivers are seasonal. During dry season water is just found in the wetlands and remnant pools at Narus Valley where animals go to water making Narus Valley a prime game viewing location.
Kidepo Valley National Park Attractions
Why is this park popular? Here are facts about Kidepo Valley National Park.
- It has two rivers-Kidepo and Narus Rivers and are seasonal only leaving pools for animals to drink from during the dry seasons
- Two valleys-the Kidepo and Narus Valleys which are prime game viewing points during the dry seasons as animals come to water. Streams in those valleys are dotted with palms, desert dates, sausage trees, red thorn acacia and drumstick trees.
- Mount Morungole-which is considered as sacred by the local inhabitant
- Lomej Hills-offers spectacular game and bird viewing
- Namamukweny Valley-offers spectacular bird watching point
Kidepo Valley National Park Animals/Wildlife
A wide variety of wildlife is found here which include; the Lion, Leopard, Cheetah, Hyena, Wild dog, Fox, jackal, Elephant, Giraffe, Zebra, Bushbuck, Bush pig, Bush duiker, and Buffalo.
There are over 500 species of birds on record including the Ostrich, Turaco, Common bulbul, Green wood hoopoe, Eastern paradise whydah, and Abyssinian roller.
Things to do in Kidepo Valley National Park
You can participate in a number of fun activities here which include:-
- Game Viewing
- Bird watching
- Nature walks-through the Kidepo and Narus Valley
- Cultural visits-neighbouring communities include the Karamojong
Kidepo Valley National Park Climate
Rainfall: Long rains start from February to June while short rains start from September to December.
Annual average rainfall is 800 mm.
Temperature: The dry months are January, July and August and are the hottest months.
An annual average temperature is 27.5°C with variations of 21.5°C-34°C.
Best time to Visit
Dry season is the best time to visit i.e. on January, July, and August when animals concentrate around the watering points.
What to Carry/wear on a Kidepo Valley National Park Safari
- Insect repellent especially the Mosquito
- If you are camping please carry camping equipment
- Also picnic items, drinking water, camera, and guide book
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to avoid the scotching sun
- Cool clothing-long sleeved shirts, long trousers due to high temperatures and insects
- Flashlight and extra batteries for your devices
How to get there
By Road-there four possible routes
The most popular is Kampala via Karuma, Gulu, and Kitgum to Kidepo-a distance of 571 km
Second Route-Kampala via Karuma, Lira, Kotido, and Kaabong to Kidepo-a distance of 792 km
Third Route-Kampala via Mbale, Sironko, Moroto, Kotido, and Kaabong to Kidepo-a distance of 740 km
Fourth Route-Kampala via Mbale, Soroti, Moroto, Kotido, and Kaabong to Kidepo-a distance of 792 km
By Air-chartered flights can be arranged from Kampala and Entebbe to Lomej Airstrip
Kidepo Valley National Park Entrance Fees/Charges
Entry Fees is as follows:
East African Citizens (USD): Adult 6 Child 2
Foreign East African Residents (USD): Adult 30 Child 10
Non-residents (USD): Adult 40 Child 20
Kidepo Valley National Park Contacts
You can reach Uganda Wildlife Authority through
Telephone: +256312355000 / +256414355000
Kidepo Valley National Park Accommodation
- Hotels and Lodges in Kidepo valley
- Apoka Safari Lodge
- Nga’Moru Wilderness Camp Kidepo
- Kidepo Savannah Lodge
- Mestil Hotel & Residences
- Metropole Hotel Kampala
- Exporers Hub
- Fairway Hotel
- Golden Tulip Canaan Kampala Hotel