Mount Longonot National Park is located at Mount Longonot in the Great Rift Valley, North West of Naivasha. It is under the administration and protection of the Kenya Wildlife Service.
Mount Longonot is an extinct and stratovolcano rising from the floors of the Great Rift Valley. It has a crater that offers stunning scenic views of the Great Rift Valley and Lake Naivasha and within it lays a dense forest of small trees.
There exists a trail that runs from Mount Longonot National Park Gate to the crater rim and also around it that offers great tour experience to the visitors around the park. Some parts of the trail a very steep and heavily eroded.
Mount Longonot National Park Attractions
Why is Mount Longonot National Park popular? Here is why.
- Mount Longonot
- Mount Longonot Crater-Offers spectacular views of Lake Naivasha and the Great Rift Valley
- Wide variety of wild animals/Wildlife
- The trail that run from the park gate to the crater and around it
- Great Campsite-Oloongonot Campsite
Mount Longonot National Park Animals/Wildlife
A wide variety of wildlife exists here which include; the Buffalo, Eland, Giraffe, Grants Gazelle, Zebra, Bushbuck, Lion, Leopard, Impala, Hartebeest, among others.
It has also many species of birds
Things to do in Mount Longonot National Park
You can indulge in a number of activities here which include;
- Game viewing-has great wildlife
- Rock climbing
- Nature walks-it is very scenic
Mount Longonot National Park Climate & Weather
Temperature: Annual average temperature is 25 °C with the highest ranging to about 30 °C and the lowest ranging to about 20 °C .
Rainfall: Average annual rainfall is about 450 mm with the highest of about 700 mm and the lowest of 200 mm.
When to Visit
Given that kind of climate that has no extreme season, you can visit all year round.
What to Carry/Wear on Mount Longonot National Park Safari
- Insect repellent especially the Mosquito
- If you are camping please carry camping equipment
- Also picnic items, drinking water, camera, and guide book
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to avoid the scotching sun
How to get there
Mount Longonot is 60 km from Nairobi-North west of Nairobi. Nearby town is Longonot Town.
Mount Longonot National Park Entrance Fees/Entry Fees/Charges
Park charges are as follows;
Citizens (KES): Adult 300, Child 215
Residents (KES): Adult 600 Child 300
Non-residents (USD): Adult 26 Child 17
Mount Longonot National Park Contacts
You can reach Kenya Wildlife Service through
Mobile No: +254 774 337 577
Mount Longonot National Park Accommodation
Hotels and Lodges near Mount Longonot are located in Naivasha and Include;
- Enashipai Resort & Spa
- Lake Naivasha Country Club
- Dovenest Lodge
- Peppercorn Holiday Resort
See also other Kenya National Parks